Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Moment of Silence for Katie

When I was a little girl (about 7), my Mom made a doll for me. Her name was Katie. She was my height, and had blonde curly hair just like me, button eyes, rosy cheeks, and even had a red heart on her chest. I loved Katie. In fact, I slept with Katie until last year. I always thought I would give her up when I got married.
Through the years, Katie got pretty threadbare. I sewed her face back together a number of times, and affectionately called her "Franken-Katie." Her button eyes fell off a long time ago, and I still have then in my jewelry case. Last year I moved her to the bottom of the bed, but couldn't quite bear to let her go all the way.When I was in college my Grandma Huizenga made this bear for me and sent it in the mail. I called it the "Prayer Bear," and my small group will hold the bear as we were praying. Like Katie, the bear has also seen better days, and is missing both ears.
Last night I officially became an adult. In the adrenaline rush of cleaning and down-sizing, I found the strength to take both Katie and the Prayer Bear, bring them outside, and put them in the trash can. It was a tough moment, one that I will look back at with tears and longing for many years to come. I even shed a few tears. Good-bye, Katie! Good-bye, Bear! I will miss you both!

No comments: