Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Colorado Springs & Pike's Peak


This past weekend I was in Colorado Springs for USA Volleyball annual meetings. I spent most of the time in meetings or eating lunch at local restaurants. On Sunday afternoon after the meetings were over we took the Cog Railroad up to Pike's Peak. Here's our train:

I took a bunch of pictures out the window of the train, so there is a little reflection. Since I was sitting backward on the way up, it was hard to know exactly when to take the pictures!


This is a Ponderosa Pine (the scraggly one that looks half dead). Scientists have determined that this tree is approximately 2400 years old, so it was around when the Romans were conquering the world. That is pretty cool.
Here we are on the back side of Pike's Peak. You can only get to this area of the mountain on the train or in a helicopter, as there aren't any roads or trails here.
Unfortunately, winds at the top of Pike's Peak were over 70 mph, so they were not able to take the train all the way up to the top. We stopped at Windy Point, which is at 12, 129 feet. We were not able to get out here because of the high winds, but could walk around and take pictures. Apparently at one time, 2 families lived in this little cabin right here.
The train stopped at Four Mile on the way back down the mountain and let us all off to wander around. I saw some sap coming out of this tree, and tried to get a picture of the sun glistening through it. I of course took a couple self portraits.In this one the camera fell off the branch at the very last second, so all I got was sky with a few aspen branches...
A nice couple walking by offered to take the picture for me instead, so I did get the real picture.

No comments: